The summer truffle (T. aestivum) is often distinguished from the burgundy truffle (T. uncinatum) despite being one species according to molecular analysis, with differences between them likely due to seasonal environmental factors.
Available September through January (depending on the weather), and for a short season during March and April, the Burgundy or Autumn truffle – Tuber uncinatum – has a dark brown to tan veined interior and is famous across Europe for a mild and delicate flavor with hazelnut notes and a light aroma. Pyramidal warts resembling rough bark have earned them the name “scorzone” in Italian.
We source our fresh Burgundy truffles from Italy, where they’re hand-picked. Your fresh truffle will ship upon arrival from Europe. Please allow 1-3 days for us to order and receive the freshest truffles for you.
- 1 ounce average
- Each truffle is shipped whole, wrapped lightly in paper towels and packed in a plastic container
Instructions for use and storage:
- Don’t cook for long periods of time or over excessive heat.
- Shave over dishes at the end of the preparation or when plating.
- The heat from your dish will bring out the aroma and flavor of the truffle.
- Store in the refrigerator wrapped in a paper towel.